Sunday, August 10, 2014

The Knox (OH) County Fair July 2014

The last full week in July is the time for the Knox County Fair. it is one of a vanishing breed of true agricultural fairs. While there are the usual attractions, the rides, the rough truck competition among others, a large part of the fair is devoted to the projects of the 4-H club members, the Future Farmers of America and  The Granges (a movement that is dying out). Cows, steers, pigs goats, you name it they are there.
My good and long-time friend Mike McClain took me one night this year and we kind of limited ourselves to the Upper and Lower Midways and such. The animals were up the hill and that is quite a hill even if you have legs. I used to work for the Mount Vernon News and during fair week we practically lived out there. I could swear they had that hill in some kind of a jack and each night, after everybody was gone, they jacked up the hill about 10 feet. That's what it seemed like. I did that for 13 years!!!. Anyway here are a few of the photos I shot that night which included the great Ag Museum they have on the fairgrounds.. Forgot to mention that above!!! It was nice to be at the fair and enjoy it!!!
Ag Museum- Old implements

A prize every day!!!

Ag Museum

Ag Museum

Ag Museum - Broom Maker

Ag Museum - Early Rural School Bus

Ag Museum

Fair Food!!!!!

Frozen Bananas

A Prize Every Day

Porkette sandwiches are traditional favorite Fair Fare


Midway Ride At Night

Another Ride

Where Fair Food Is Fixed\
(I didn't know it was broken!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment